The sophomore album by Gang Colours – ‘Invisible In Your City’ – marks another exciting moment on the evolutionary arc of an incredible artist.read more
Striking out in June 2011 as a fully-fledged Brownswood family member with his debut EP ‘In Your Gut Like A Knife’ – a neat summary of his electronic excursions at that point – Gang Colours struck a peculiar and delicate balance between otherworldly and familiarity, at times sneaking a sly glance towards the dancefloor but mostly conjuring a sense of longing and rye melancholy. Ticking with a distinctive bounce and rhythm, it comes as no surprise that he was raised on the bump and grind of UKG. But the fact that the 26 year old counts Laurie Anderson (“It’s kind of minimal, experimental and heavy on the spoken word. The production is amazing.”) and Basquiat as well as hometown heroes the Artful Dodger among his influences, it’s clear that he is coming from a different perspective altogether.
“Garage had a dance element and it had the emotion, the evocative side. And that ticked my boxes. But the groove of garage, and the tempo – those are characteristics that were really inspiring. The Streets’ ‘Original Pirate Material’ – just that track alone, especially the use of piano, really inspired me to make something different that could have a profound impact on someone.”
Taking a step back from chopped ‘n’ screwed RnB vocals and the swing of UKG, his debut album ‘The Keychain Collection’ (2012) explored more sombre recesses within his palette. Ten tracks deep, it eloquently captured his first tentative forays into songwriting, drawing praise from Dazed & Confused, The Guardian, Pitchfork, Clash Magazine (Best Albums of 2012), Dummy and Mixmag alongside DJs ranging from Lauren Laverne (BBC 6 Music), Huw Stephens (BBCR1 Maida Vale session), Benji B and Jamie xx to name but a few.
Eighteen months have passed since ‘The Keychain Collection’ seduced the Worldwide underground with its wistful, beguiling blend of the organic and the electronic. ‘Invisible In Your City’ finds the Botley [Southampton] resident blossoming as a singer-songwriter, completing his metamorphosis from bedroom production prodigy. Inspired by the vocal production of the Beach Boys and The Fourfreshmen, the individuality of Outkast’s now classic output and more spiritually by the likes of The Undertones and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers… “Dizzee’s ‘Fix Up Look Sharp’, Paul Young’s ‘Love Of The Common People’ and ‘Only You’ by Yaz… these are tracks that I often try to emulate in my own little way,” says Ozanne of his approach to music.
Spanning ten tracks, ‘Invisible…’ is as richly textured as its predecessor, but it’s a more self-assured record by an artist growing into his songwriting skin and rising in confidence all the time. The title track is a bold statement in itself, a pretty ballad founded upon Will’s multitracked vocals and disheveled by shards of white noise. Likewise, the forlorn mantra of ‘Home’, underpinned by heartrending piano; and his duet with fast-rising UK starlet Lulu James – ‘Why Didn’t You Call?’ – marrying Ms. James’ astounding vocal to 4×4 drums, Brazilian percussion and a gospel choir. The record triumphantly closes with a fragile interpretation of Bowie’s ‘Always Crashing In The Same Car’.
‘Invisible In Your City’
CD / LP / Digital (scheduled for release 16th September 2013)
- The Keychain Collection Vinyl / CD / Digital
- Invisible In Your City Vinyl / CD / Digital
- Gang Colours drops his new single featuring reworks by Kelpe & Dave Aju 28 / 10 / 13 view article »
- xlr8r premiere Dave Aju's rework of the new Gang Colours single 21 / 10 / 13 view article »
- Gang Colours performs 'Communal Quo' on 405tv 02 / 10 / 13 view article »
- Video // Gang Colours - Why Didn't You Call? feat. Lulu James 26 / 09 / 13 view article »
- Gang Colours announces London show on 22nd Oct and new single 18 / 09 / 13 view article »
- Gang Colours - Invisible In Your City // Album Stream 11 / 09 / 13 view article »
- Boiler Room with Bonobo // Alex Nut // Gang Colours // Joshua Idehen & Pále 09 / 09 / 13 view article »
- Gang Colours - 'Invisible In Your City' // The first single from his brand new album is out now 02 / 09 / 13 view article »
- Gang Colours // Invisible In Your City // Tracklisting and Artwork 13 / 08 / 13 view article »
- Stream the title track from Gang Colours' new album 'Invisible In Your City' 24 / 07 / 13 view article »
- Gang Colours // Invisible In Your City Album Teaser 17 / 07 / 13 view article »
- James Zabiela - Healing (Gang Colours Remix) via XLR8R 11 / 12 / 12 view article »
- Gang Colours - To Repel Ghosts // Official Video 31 / 05 / 12 view article »
- Gang Colours // To Repel Ghosts - Remixes 30 / 05 / 12 view article »
- Gang Colours // Debut album 'The Keychain Collection' out now 28 / 02 / 12 view article »
- Gang Colours - Fancy Restaurant 12" feat. Machinedrum // Ifan Dafydd // Deft Remixes *PREVIEW* 31 / 01 / 12 view article »
- Gang Colours - Fancy Restaurant // Official Video 17 / 01 / 12 view article »
- FREE DIGITAL EP // Gang Colours 'In Your Gut Like A Knife' Remixes 10 / 10 / 11 view article »