Brownswood One Hundred Remixed is available now
July 2, 2013
As announced by xlr8r last week, we’re marking our 100th release on Brownswood Recordings with a trip down memory lane… a straight-up retrospective of our favourite reworks from 2006 to 2013.
It was a real pleasure sifting through the archives and so tough to pick out favourites as we’ve been blessed with some amazing remixes over the years. Of course we had to include the classics from the OGs: Osunlade’s Yoruba Soul remix of ‘So Good Today’, thoroughly rinsed at the time and still sounding daisy fresh; Moodymann’s rub of José James; and the mighty Theo Parrish reworking Owiny Sigoma Band’s ‘Wires’. Then there are a clutch of younger cats who have steadily built sterling reputations in recent years, inspiring similar rushes of excitement and devotion amongst the new electronic generation: SBTRKT, Joy Orbison (his first ever remix!?), Machinedrum and George Fitzgerald. Not forgetting nuggets from certified Worldwide fam Quantic (repping Colombia); Michel Cleis (via Chile and Switzerland); and Ogris Debris (Vienna in the house!); plus Deep Medi’s Quest on a rumbling slo-mo disco tip.
There’s one brand new jam in amongst the golden archive material – Mala & Simbad’s Super Dub Mix of ‘Noches Sueños’ – a new remix from Mala’s ‘Mala in Cuba’ project. Pure steppaz vibes for the dance!
Huge thanks to all of the Brownswood artists, the remixers and the extended Brownswood familia – without you we wouldn’t be able to keep on keepin’ on!
01. José James – BLACKMAGIC (Joy Orbison’s Recreation)
02. Gang Colours – To Repel Ghosts (George Fitzgerald Remix)
03. Ghostpoet – Survive It (Quest Guidance Remix)
04. Ben Westbeech – So Good Today (Yoruba Soul Remix)
05. Gilles Peterson’s Havana Cultura Band – Rezando (Michel Cleis Remix)
06. Owiny Sigoma Band – Doyoi Nyajo Nam (Quantic Remix)
07. José James – WARRIOR (SBTRKT Remix)
08. Mala – Noches Sueños (Mala & Simbad Super Dub Mix)
09. Gang Colours – Fancy Restaurant (Machinedrum Remix)
10. Zara McFarlane – Until Tomorrow (Ogris Debris Remix)
11. José James – Desire (Moodymann Remix)
12. Owiny Sigoma Band – Wires (Theo Parrish Remix)